More save state slots please

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
brakenwagen
Snes9x White Belt

More save state slots please

Post by brakenwagen »

Hi I’m a long time user of zsnes but times are a changing and zsnes has become very dated so I’m looking to upgrade. snes9x seems like my best bet (haven’t had much luck with bsnes/higan). My only problem is how snes9x handles save states. In zsnes you were given 100 save state slots. And in more modern emulators (vba, kega Fusion and Nestopia) you can even save to and load from specific state files that you can name yourself (meaning your slots are infinite). Snes9x on the other hand is hard coded for just 10 slots why? It can’t image it would be that hard for the developers to let you save and load from specific files or even just double or triple the number of save slots so what gives?

The reason I want so many save slots is on games like Castlevania 4 I make a save state for each level in the game starting from the game over screen. This lets me bypass the old and cumbersome password system and lets me have a save feature plus level select for games that don’t even have a password system but do have unlimited continues (like the original castlevania). but with snes9x if the game has more than 10 levels then you out of luck and can’t complete a full set of sates for each level, Castlevania 4 has 15 including the boss checkpoints at the end.

Would be possible to add a save to and load from state to the menu in future versions or at least add more slots. If not is there a front-end like program I can use on top of snes9x. What about command lines is there a way I can use command lines to force snes9x to load a specific state file.
brakenwagen
Snes9x White Belt

Re: More save state slots please

Post by brakenwagen »

Um is anybody at the development team hearing this, I don’t won’t to sound whiny I just want to know if anyone is even listening this? I really want more than 10 state slot but Zsnes is so outdated it’s ancient, bsnes/higan ruins like a sloth and I absolutely despise Retroarch (that interface why?). Again not trying to whine I just want to know I’m not speaking into a wall.

At this point I’m so desperate I’m thinking of poking around the source code myself (I have taken programming classes in collage). Though that leaves the question of would be easier to edit snes9x itself or program a frontend for the snes9x libretro core.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Yes, I'm still reading the forum. I might add a save and load menu option where you can manually specify the filename.
brakenwagen
Snes9x White Belt

Post by brakenwagen »

Happy day hope lives. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thank you kindly for your response.