The application was unable to start correctly(0xc000007b)

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
d3m
Snes9x White Belt

The application was unable to start correctly(0xc000007b)

Post by d3m »

I am trying to run snes9x-1.53-x64 but every time I get the error "The application was unable to start correctly(0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I am running Windows 7 X64.

What do I do to correct this?
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

msdn wrote:The error code 0xc000007b means INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT in ntstatus.h which indicates that some files were corrupted.
...so your download is likely corrupt. redownload and try again.
d3m
Snes9x White Belt

Post by d3m »

I have downloaded several time from various different sources and keep getting the same results.
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

Win7 might not like that particular compile of SNES9x. I'd suggest using the 32-bit version - or trying to compile it yourself.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

SparroHawc wrote:Win7 might not like that particular compile of SNES9x. I'd suggest using the 32-bit version - or trying to compile it yourself.
wfm on win7 - it's not a global issue.
julien148
Snes9x White Belt

same problem

Post by julien148 »

Hi, I have the same problem.

I tried on two dirrerent computers and it does the same error. First, It ask for d3d38.dll(something like that) so I download it from dll.com then that error 000007b.

Samsung Portable and a i7 930 with win7 64x.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

delete that file you downloaded and then install this.
julien148
Snes9x White Belt

Post by julien148 »

odditude wrote:delete that file you downloaded and then install this.
:o :o THX a lot ! All work now
Cigaran
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Cigaran »

I too am having more or less the same issue.

I've downloaded several builds of snes9x 1.51, 1.52, and 1.53. 1.51 opens and I can run it just fine. However 1.52 and 1.53 won't work. Any time I try to start the program I get the message that snes9X has stopped working. This happens as soon as the program starts.

I've check to make sure that DirectX is updated and it is. I've tried both the x64 and x86 versions of 1.53 and still have the same issue. I've also tried running it both in compatibility mode with XP SP2 and SP3 with no change. I've tried running as Administrator normally in Win 7 and in XP compatibility mode with no luck there either.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Make sure UAC (user account control) and DEP (data execution prevention) are both turned off in Windows 7. Boy did I go through hell with those "features" with Snes9x and other emulators. That may be causing it freak out like that.
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Cigaran
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Cigaran »

the_randomizer wrote:Make sure UAC (user account control) and DEP (data execution prevention) are both turned off in Windows 7. Boy did I go through hell with those "features" with Snes9x and other emulators. That may be causing it freak out like that.
I had the UAC turned off already. I set DEP to ignore snes9X but that didn't change a thing. :( I did however find out that you can't exclude 64bit executable from DEP which was news to me.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

the_randomizer wrote:Make sure UAC (user account control) and DEP (data execution prevention) are both turned off in Windows 7. Boy did I go through hell with those "features" with Snes9x and other emulators. That may be causing it freak out like that.
there is absolutely no need to disable either under win7 x64 for snes9x to work properly.
ravenfaust
Snes9x White Belt

i too have this problem "The application was unable to

Post by ravenfaust »

i have tried everything above and still get "The application was unable to start correctly(0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

running win 7 64bit. :|
idlekaty
Snes9x White Belt

Re: The application was unable to start correctly(0xc000007b

Post by idlekaty »

Hi there,

I know this is two years later but I wanted to reply because I had the same problem! I'm running Win 7 64-bit on a laptop (lenovo B570e). I did have earlier version (1.43??) half working, well it ran fine but was buggy when assigning buttons to my gamepad.

So I then tried version 1.53 for win 64, which was problematic - first off it told me I was missing "d3dx9_38.dll" - updating Divx made no difference, so I then got hold of said .dll file and just stuck it in the folder with snes9x.exe (not sure if this is how .dlls work but anyhoo) - then my error message changed to the error number that's been mentioned above (0xc000007b). So I gave up with that version.

I then tried different versions of Snes9x starting from the most recent version then heading backwards.. (using the files on this site: http://snes9x.ipherswipsite.com/
The first one I got to work was 'snes9x-1.52-win32.w9x'. This one seems to run fine and I had no trouble assigning buttons on my gamepad (I'm using an xbox 360 controller). I've tried a few different games and so far so good! Happy ending.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

idlekaty wrote:Hi there,

I know this is two years later but I wanted to reply because I had the same problem! I'm running Win 7 64-bit on a laptop (lenovo B570e). I did have earlier version (1.43??) half working, well it ran fine but was buggy when assigning buttons to my gamepad.

So I then tried version 1.53 for win 64, which was problematic - first off it told me I was missing "d3dx9_38.dll" - updating Divx made no difference, so I then got hold of said .dll file and just stuck it in the folder with snes9x.exe (not sure if this is how .dlls work but anyhoo) - then my error message changed to the error number that's been mentioned above (0xc000007b). So I gave up with that version.

I then tried different versions of Snes9x starting from the most recent version then heading backwards.. (using the files on this site: http://snes9x.ipherswipsite.com/
The first one I got to work was 'snes9x-1.52-win32.w9x'. This one seems to run fine and I had no trouble assigning buttons on my gamepad (I'm using an xbox 360 controller). I've tried a few different games and so far so good! Happy ending.
why would you update Divx? (why would you even HAVE Divx nowdays?)

anyway, as i said before...
idlekaty
Snes9x White Belt

Post by idlekaty »

odditude wrote: why would you update Divx? (why would you even HAVE Divx nowdays?)

anyway, as i said before...
My mistake - I meant to write DirectX, not DivX. So yeah, I did what you said, and it didn't work. Hence resorting to the method I just posted above.
Gatorau
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Gatorau »

Many thanks. I searched all over the web for 2 days to find an emulator that works with my partner's Win 7 64 bit system and the one you pointed to is perfect. No errors and he can happily play his beloved Super Battleship! :mrgreen:
Danavan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Danavan »

I am running windows 7 64 bit and found that if I downloaded the 32 bit d3dx9_38.dll and placed it in the same directory with snes9x.exe that it loaded. It did say that it could not load sound but I just went into the sound settings and changed it to "Snes9x direct sound" and now have sound and it no longer errors when loading.
PhoenixKnight
Snes9x White Belt

Re:

Post by PhoenixKnight »

julien148 wrote:Hi, I have the same problem.

I tried on two dirrerent computers and it does the same error. First, It ask for d3d38.dll(something like that) so I download it from dll.com then that error 000007b.

Samsung Portable and a i7 930 with win7 64x.
Cigaran wrote:I too am having more or less the same issue.

I've downloaded several builds of snes9x 1.51, 1.52, and 1.53. 1.51 opens and I can run it just fine. However 1.52 and 1.53 won't work. Any time I try to start the program I get the message that snes9X has stopped working. This happens as soon as the program starts.

I've check to make sure that DirectX is updated and it is. I've tried both the x64 and x86 versions of 1.53 and still have the same issue. I've also tried running it both in compatibility mode with XP SP2 and SP3 with no change. I've tried running as Administrator normally in Win 7 and in XP compatibility mode with no luck there either.
I had the same issue, running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 fully updated. As with Julien148 I initially had a missing file d3dx9_38.dll error, upon remedying that via extracting the file from the DirectX redistributable I then received the 0xc000007b error (using the 1.53 version of Snes9x). Upon switching to version 1.52 it opens but then gives an XAudio error saying I won't have any sound due to a DirectX problem but didn't specify exactly what said problem is. On switching to version 1.51 it works just fine.