Snes9x Performance Issues on Intel Compute Stick

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
own3mall
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9x Performance Issues on Intel Compute Stick

Post by own3mall »

Hi All,

Is there a way to optimize Snes9x to work with Intel's 1GB Compute Stick? I compiled the latest Snes9x source on Ubuntu 14.04. Snes9x works OK, but it occasionally stutters and the sound sometimes isn't in sync when it's lagging.

I've tried adjusting several options to get a better result, but so far, I still haven't found the ideal setup.

I'm using 8 threads for filtering and scaling, HQ4X as the filter, OpenGL as the hardware acceleration, and 16-bit pixel-buffer format for video options.

As for sound, I am using PulseAudio, Synchronize with sound, Stereo and have set the input rate to 31500 with a buffer size of 34 ms.

Is there anything more I can do to get better performance? Also, is the source code for Snes9x 1.39 available somewhere for Linux? Maybe this version will run better on the ComputeStick? zsnes runs terribly and cannot even come close to the experience I got with Snes9x... but it's still not very playable.

How do I tell which version I compiled? I'm not sure if it's 32bit or 64bit. I am running Ubuntu 14.04 64bit though.

Any help is appreciated.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Snes9x Performance Issues on Intel Compute Stick

Post by odditude »

hq4x is likely pushing it, given that historically Intel's Linux video drivers haven't been the best.