help with downloaded saves

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Moribunk
Snes9x White Belt

help with downloaded saves

Post by Moribunk »

Hello there, It's my first time playing with an emulator and I need some serious help with my saves.

As a beginner, I did the mistake to only save in the game and not in the emulator, so I pretty much lost 5-10 hours of gaming just by clicking the wrong button on my keyboard, and was sent at an accidental save i did at the begining of the game. There was no way I could recover my progression.

So I searched for a saved state that would bring me directly to the point I was, but when I tried to load it, i relized it was in .rar format, opened with adobe flash player. The other saves on the game were in .000, .001, .oops and .srm, and were all opened with "DLL commune du shell Windows" (i am french)... tho I tried to change the program with which i would open the save, I couldn't find DLL commune du shell Windows anywhere, and it wouldn't work if i changed the program to Snesx9.

So I wondered if you knew which program I could use to be able to lad this save ?
plus, do I have to choose "save" in the emulator menu to be sure to keep my progression on track ?

Thanks a lot for your help, it would really piss me of to stop playing Earthbound due to such a silly thing !
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: help with downloaded saves

Post by odditude »

don't try to open them directly. rename them to match your ROM, leaving the extension intact (e.g. if you have gamename.smc, the saves should be named gamename.001, gamename.srm, etc). place the files in the save directory you have defined.

*.srm files are the battery save files (i.e. the game's built-in save function). files with a numbered extension are save-states, saved/loaded AFTER loading the ROM image via File -> Save/Load Game Position.