Multi-Record Savestate to Overlay

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
ihopeformanyworlds
Snes9x White Belt

Multi-Record Savestate to Overlay

Post by ihopeformanyworlds »

Hello, I was just curious if snes9x made this feature available/implemented it, for Mac/Windows
To make a video: First, use SNES9X’s “record movie” function to record yourself playing some game; while the game is running, use the save and restore feature at least once. When you’re done, you’ll find that SNES9X has created a yournamehere.smv file and also a series of files with names like yournamehere.smv.1, yournamehere.smv.2, etc. These .number files are all the different “mistake” playthroughs, so keep all these files together in one directory.

To turn this into an actual movie you can watch, you will need to use the OS X version of the emulator. Unfortunately, the Windows and Linux versions can only record multiple-run SMVs– they can’t do the export-to-quicktime thing. The quicktime-export code is based on alterations to the mac-specific parts of 1.43 (although considering that I hear the Quicktime API is mostly identical between Mac and Windows, it might be pretty easy to port that code to Windows at least…).

Anyway, in the OS X version, open up the appropriate ROM and choose “Export to Quicktime Movie” from the Option menu. Before leaving the export dialogue, make sure to click the “Compression…” button. You *MUST* choose either the “None” or “Planar RGB” codecs, and under the “Compressor” pane you *MUST* choose a depth of “Millions of Colors+”. The “+” is important. Once you’ve saved the movie location, go to “Play Movie” in the Option menu and choose the .smv you want to play. The emulator will play through each of the playbacks one by one; when it’s done (you’ll know because the background turns back on) your movie will appear in the location you chose. Note that there’s one more step! You won’t be able to actually play this movie, at least not very well, because the export feature works by creating a different movie track for each playthrough and the file will be huge and bloated. Open your video in Quicktime Player, then choose “export” and export to some video codec with actual compression (like H.264). This will flatten all the different layers of the movie into one. Okay, NOW you’re done.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36pB5Hv6mNU

and this is the blog post explaining how it's done with download links

http://msm.runhello.com/p/20

I'm asking because this came out in 2008, and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find this feature anywhere. Thank you for your time.
ihopeformanyworlds
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Multi-Record Savestate to Overlay

Post by ihopeformanyworlds »

If anyone would know the best place to go, that'd be helpful, I came here because this was a modification of the Snes9x emulator, the dev said she was going to talk to you about it, this was long ago but I hope someone can point me into the right direction
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: Multi-Record Savestate to Overlay

Post by OV2 »

Nothing like this has been integrated in the regular snes9x versions.