d3dx9_38.dll errors during launch, nothing helping

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
YouPassButter
Snes9x White Belt

d3dx9_38.dll errors during launch, nothing helping

Post by YouPassButter »

Hey, I'm new to this forum, been using snes9x on my old laptop for a long time. Just got a new one with Windows 8 and I can't seem to install/launch the program.

I keep getting the d3dx9_38.dll missing error, but nothing from this previous thread is fixing it:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6798

Help?! I've tried installing multiple versions of snes9x (including 1.53) and many different DirectX versions and updates (9, 11, 11 updates...). Nothing is fixing the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Snes9x got me back into video games after years of not having any systems, and I feel lost without it!
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: d3dx9_38.dll errors during launch, nothing helping

Post by odditude »

sfc /scannow, reboot, reinstall the dx packages in the thread you referenced, reboot, try snes9x again.

if you're still having problems, either it's a pebmac or Windows is hosed. if it's the former, pay someone to fix it. if it's the latter, backup, dump, and reload.
Danavan
Snes9x White Belt

Re: d3dx9_38.dll errors during launch, nothing helping

Post by Danavan »

Download the 32 bit version of d3dx9_38.dll (yes the 32 bit even though your OS is 64 bit) and place it in the directory with snes9x.exe The game should load with a possible sound error. Change the sound device to "snes9x direct sound" and that should remove all errors. Happy gaming.