3 Problems (Controller Issue, PAR Codes, & AVI Recording)

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
skull902
Snes9x White Belt

3 Problems (Controller Issue, PAR Codes, & AVI Recording)

Post by skull902 »

Hello everyone, I recently downloaded SNES9x and have had a good time with it. There are a few problems I'd like to report though.

The first one doesn't really effect gameplay that much but it's strange. I use the Buffalo Classic USB SNES controller, and when I play Super Mario World (whether it be just the game on its own or the All-Stars version) the Y and X buttons stutter every once in a while. For example, sometimes Mario shoots a random fireball or does a cape twirl when I'm holding the Y button, as if I let go and hit the button again. Thankfully it only happens maybe two or three times for a long level (like Vanilla Dome 3) and it isn't game-breaking, but it's still noticeable. The same thing happened to me in the All-Stars versions of Mario 1 and Lost Levels, where I would just suddenly lose momentum because the input stuttered. I have a feeling it's the emulator or perhaps the ROM, because I tried using different USB slots (which had the same results,) and I also tried on different emulators such as Visual Boy Advance with no problems at all. No other SNES game I've tried had this problem, though admittedly I haven't played much of other games yet.

The second problem also has to do with the controller, but it's definitely not a problem with the controller itself. In SMW I wanted to do the Action Replay code for having Player 1 as Luigi. When I activate the code, it works fine on keyboard (which I find way too awkward to play Mario games on.) But with the controller plugged in, nothing works. If I turn the code off, all is well and functioning. Very strange, and kinda disappointing too because I think Luigi's awesome. XD

Finally, a bit of an issue with AVI recording. When I first downloaded SNES9x on this computer, I was surprised to see AVI recordings with a resolution of 448p, because previous attempts at recording only got up to 240p (understandable, since that's the native resolution of the SNES.) I had to uninstall and reinstall and after reinstalling, I got 240p recordings. Not exactly sure how the recorder went up to 448p, but if there's any way I can set it back to that I don't know what it is. I was primarily using the Microsoft Video 1 codec to record.