Save Problems. Please help!

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Arcel
Snes9x White Belt

Save Problems. Please help!

Post by Arcel »

I've been having a bit of trouble with my save states. I'm probably just being a noob at thing but I can't load any of my states when I exit out of a game, then later come back and open it up again to play it. It works perfectly fine when I don't exit out- I can load my states with no problem. But as I stated before, if I exit out of the emulator (to take a break, shut down my computer, or do whatever else), open up the ROM, then try to reload my saved point, it's a no-go. I'm back at the start of the game again. Obviously, this can get very frustrating. I loose hours of work in a game. The ROM in question is Chrono Trigger if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for your help in advance!
DaMan
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Save Problems. Please help!

Post by DaMan »

Snes9x in Program Files?
Arcel
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Arcel »

Hm. I'm not seeing any SNES9X in the program files. Excuse me for probably being a bit of a noob, but how should I go about getting it in there? I'm assuming that you don't just plop the WinRar file that I got from downloading in there.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

if you're running it from within a RAR file, you're making two major mistakes.
1. you didn't get it from an official source
2. you're running it from within an archive, which means it gets unpacked into a temp directory when you run it. all of your save files are being written to that temp directory, which is only used the one time (and is subject to automatic deletion).

first off, download snes9x from an official source.
now, extract that zip file somewhere that's not on the Desktop and not in Program Files or ProgramData. My recommendation is to a new folder in the root of C:\, where snes9x and any emulators with path-handling problems can reside happily - like c:\emulators\snes9x.
bsabiston
Snes9x White Belt

Post by bsabiston »

Did you ever solve this? I am having this problem with Provenance, an iOS emulator based on Snes9x. I can't figure out why my games don't seem to ever save.

Bob