Sound stuttering issue with VSync on

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Tenshi Cat
Snes9x White Belt

Sound stuttering issue with VSync on

Post by Tenshi Cat »

Hello! I'm really liking Snes9X. Unfortunately I'm having an issue with it where the sound will frequently stutter when I have VSync turned on, and I don't like to have it turned off as that makes the games appear to run much more choppily. When I turned on the FPS display, I noticed that it seems to stutter whenever the framerate (which is usually 59 or 60) drops to 58fps, and how often that happens seems to be random.

I read another thread with someone having a similar issue and tried the two fixes suggested in that, and unfortunately neither worked for me. They were lowering the Input Rate in the Sound Settings and ensuring that 'Synchronise with sound core' is on, and turning off 'Hi Resolution Support' and 'Blend Hi-Res Images' in the Display Settings. I also tried changing the Output Method and Output Image Processing in the latter and the Sound Driver and Playback Rate in the former.

I'm running the latest 64-bit version of Snes9X on a laptop with Windows 8.1 64-bit, 12 GB of RAM, an AMD Radeon HD7970M GPU and an Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU at 2.70GHz. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this issue I would really like to hear them! Thank you very much for reading.