Mapping hotkey to controller button combo

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Muad
Snes9x White Belt

Mapping hotkey to controller button combo

Post by Muad »

Hi,

First - thank you for providing a great emulator. Developing something like this can't be easy and its great to have a free option available that works so well.

I've spent the past three evenings trying to figure something out and have reached the conclusion it's either not possible or I need to ask for help. I've read quite a bit but apologize if I've failed to find the appropriate forum entry that covers this issue. I am using the April 2nd, 2015 test build found here: http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/ I was using v1.53, but switched to this test build due to the inclusion of the hotkey for Quit Snes9x.

I have a retrolink usb snes controller that is configured and functions properly - no issues there. I'm also using emulationstation and would like to fully interact with the system via controller - i.e. no keyboard. This means I need to map the hotkeys for quit, save state, and load state to my controller. However, since I'm using an actual SNES controller I have no 'extra' buttons that can be used for this purpose. I need to map these functions to a button combination (e.g. select + start).

Unfortunately the hotkey GUI doesn't seem to take in combinations. A single button press immediately hops the GUI to the next field. I've attempted a variety of things in the snes9x.conf file to no avail. I'll use quit as an example:

From the [Controls\Win] section:
Joypad1:Start = (J0)Button 9
Joypad1:Select = (J0)Button 8

From the [Controls\Win\Hotkeys] section:
Handler:Joystick = ON
Key:QuitS9X = (J0)Button 9
Mods:QuitS9X = (J0)Button 8
--This results in only Button 9 being mapped to quit

Key:QuitS9X = (J0)Button 9 (J0)Button 8
Mods:QuitS9X = none
--This results in a set to default = disabled

Key:QuitS9X = "(J0)Button 9" "(J0)Button 8"
Mods:QuitS9X = none
--This results in a set to default = disabled

Is what I'm trying to do even possible? Ultimately I need the quit hotkey mapped to "(J0)Button 9 + (J0)Button 8" ... How can I code this in the config file?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

-Muad
Muad
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Mapping hotkey to controller button combo

Post by Muad »

Bump

Nobody? I've found this functionality in retroarch fairly easily - surely there's a way to map a button combination as a hotkey...
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Snes9x does not support button combinations. You can only use alt / shift / ctrl modifiers for hotkeys.
Muad
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Muad »

Ok thanks for the reply. That's something I had started to suspect but it's good to know for sure.

Thanks,
Muad