Older versions of SNES and compatability w/ SNES 1.53

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
knew2dagame
Snes9x White Belt

Older versions of SNES and compatability w/ SNES 1.53

Post by knew2dagame »

Hi,

I did a bad thing. I've been running SNES9x1.39 for a while now (I'm not deep into this and didn't realize how old the version I had was). I was playing the classic Final Fantasy 3 and had gotten really far. I'd used save states AND saved the game within the game. However, over the weekend, version 1.39 just stopped opening. It shows it open, at the bottom panel (Windows 7), but there is no actual window that pops open now. I restarted my comp and even did a system restore, to no avail.

Despite this I attempted to download the latest emulator and that all worked, yet I could NOT load the save states or anything within the game from v 1.39. It said the "screenshot was not formatted for Snes9x." The files were "Final Fantasy 3.000, * 3.001, etc.

Two questions:
1) is there a simple way to get 1.39 working?
2) if #1 is a resounding "no" is there a way to use 1.53, but load the save states from 1.39?

Thanks for any information you all can provide.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: Older versions of SNES and compatability w/ SNES 1.53

Post by OV2 »

If I remember correctly 1.39 had a command line parameter "-restore" that deleted its registry settings and restored default settings. You could try that.

You cannot use old save sates (the .000 files), but you can load the in-game saves contained in the ROMNAME.srm file. Copy it to the SRAM dir of 1.53 (by default \Saves), or if it is in the same directory as the rom it should also find it.
knew2dagame
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Older versions of SNES and compatability w/ SNES 1.53

Post by knew2dagame »

Thx for the info. I was able to bring the old version up again by running it with compatibility mode settings for Windows 98/NT/Me. It used to do this automatically, but somehow that changed. I had to manually make yet change by going to properties.