Keyboard problem with Snes9x on Dell Inspiron - Windows 7

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Murrin
Snes9x White Belt

Keyboard problem with Snes9x on Dell Inspiron - Windows 7

Post by Murrin »

Hello,

I am currently having a problem with Snes9x. This problem is not unique to Snes9x--it happens no matter which snes emulator I am using on my computer--but I am posting here in case someone may have any suggestions or knowledge about what could be causing the problem or what the solution could be. I'm using a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7.

At random times, the emulator does not register that I pressed a button. For instance, on this menu in this game, if I am repeatedly pressing Up at a moderate/slow speed, once every 10 or 20 or 30 times I press it, nothing will happen. (And that's the thing, it happens randomly. It doesn't happen every 10 times; it happens after 4 times; then after 2 times; then after 23 times; etc.). Or in another game, when I press Y to punch, sometimes nothing will happen. Or if I press B to jump nothing will happen. It just happens at random times, and it unquestionably happens, it's when I'm just walking around, it's not while I'm getting punched or something. And the thing is, it happens no matter which emulator I'm using. I've tried znes, bsnes, and higan as well. (And I've tried snem but that emulator had display problems). So I guess it's some problem with the emulators on my computer in particular. It is not a problem that's exclusive to my keyboard, because it does not happen when I'm typing, ever. (I made sure to try it, the same way I tested it in-game. When I tested it in-game, I repeatedly punched pressing Y -- making sure to check what the fastest punch-rate is, and made sure to punch much more slowly than that. The problem was still present. I opened Microsoft Word and did the same thing. I repeatedly pressed the same key I had been using for "Y" - I pressed it about 100 times and there were no problems.)

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Michael
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Keyboard problem with Snes9x on Dell Inspiron - Windows

Post by odditude »

you may be having issues with having multiple keys held down/pressed simultaneously.
Daikun
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Keyboard problem with Snes9x on Dell Inspiron - Windows

Post by Daikun »

Are you using a USB keyboard? That's what it sounds like to me, because I used to have this problem. USB keyboards tend to have issues with lag input.

I'd recommend switching it out with either a keyboard with a classic PS/2 connection (those work the best) or a wireless keyboard. USB keyboards are terrible for gaming.