Slow emulation?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Wil
Snes9x White Belt

Slow emulation?

Post by Wil »

Hi, I have a little problem.
I'm using snes9x 1.51 , And by comparing to other people (that use snes9x) I've noticed my roms run a little slower, I tried changing everything in the settings, and it didn't work.
I downloaded snes9x 1.53, and that didnt work either, changing configuration on 1.53 didnt work either.
So I tried a different emulator, and the other emulator worked 'properly', but I didnt really like that emulator.
So specifically I play Rockman X and X2(havent tested the difference with other games), And I've noticed that it runs a little slower by comparing the time it takes for the game to start after selecting 'start game'.
So It really doesn't affect me that much, except that I speedrun this games and dont know if im just losing a little bit of time at the start or a lot of time overall.
I would like to know if im missing something that can 'fix' this.
Any help is appreciated :)
MELERIX
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Slow emulation?

Post by MELERIX »

maybe your video drivers and direct x are not updated.

also try with test builds which are more recent.
Wil
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Wil »

So well I tried updating video drivers (directx was already updated)
and I changed to snes9x 1.53 and It seemed to work better.
However the other day I tried playing rockman X on snes9x 1.51 on a friend's computer and it felt a lot more fluent than when I play on my computer.
I checked the framerate on his computer and he had 60 fps at all times.
When Im playing I have framerates of 60 at most times but it also varies to 59 and 61.
And also it feels a lot more laggy when I play on my computer.
So I thought my computer might be the problem, so well my computer has this:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor 3.0 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4890
4Gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bits

So my computer is kind of old but it works well. I dont know what my friend's computer specs are but I know his computer is a lot newer than mine and that he has windows 8.
sparky
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sparky »

Turn off vsync in all locations you can, including in Catalyst Control Center or whatever graphics driver you use.
Wil
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Wil »

Ok that worked ty a lot
sparky
Snes9x White Belt

Post by sparky »

When the frame rate varies around the monitor's refresh rate, that means vsync is on. You may very well get frame rates in the hundreds with it set to off. Vertical Synchronization is only useful for situations where the rendering engine is not doing a very good job keeping up with the refresh rate during scenes of fast motion. It is not really the most effective means to its desired end, though, so I have only ever used it once, and then temporarily.