Lag and slow down during certain sections in game

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
ZeReLioN
Snes9x White Belt

Lag and slow down during certain sections in game

Post by ZeReLioN »

Hi there.

Snes9x was fine with no issues the last month or two. Lately, I've been experiencing significant and irrefutable lag or slow downs during certain sections of games. They almost always seem to be during high amounts of effects or activity on screen, but not always. Sometimes a single laser being shot can cause the game to slow down or lag even if I am not doing anything and standing still. These games include A Link to the Past or Mega Man X games for eg. Certain games still seem to be fine such as the Donkey Kong Country trilogy games. The thing is when I put up the fps counter in game, it shows a constant 60 fps no matter what.

I have tried many things in the settings. I have experimented with different resolutions and aspect ratios with or without stretch, full screen and windowed. Tried with both vsync and triple buffering on or off and with either on. I have tried putting it on very low resolution with no HQ filter or any type of image enhancer and makes no difference. The amount of frame skip also make no difference. I am very easily able to recreate/replay these issues since they happen at the exact same spot/sequence or action every single time no matter the settings.

My PC specs are

i5-4670 3.40GHz
8.00GB Ram
GTX 760 2GB

I have the latest windows and drivers and runtimes.

At first I tried to simply ignore it and figured it was part of the emulation but it seems to happen fairly regularly now and it is really breaking timing, speed and immersion.

Is there anything out there I haven't tried yet or anyone have any idea what might be my particular problem here?

Thanks for the help.
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: Lag and slow down during certain sections in game

Post by odditude »

it's not an emulation issue. the SNES wasn't a particularly powerful piece of hardware, and it's not that difficult to throw more at it than it can handle. plenty of games exhibit slowdown on the original console.