Snes9X EX+ (Europe) ROMs‏ Graphical Glitch

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
mattp
Snes9x White Belt

Snes9X EX+ (Europe) ROMs‏ Graphical Glitch

Post by mattp »

Hi there,

I've been using Snes9X on my Windows PC for sometime and love it! Yesterday I downloaded Snes9X EX+ for my Android. There's just one thing I can't figure out...

European ROMs display graphical glitches on Snes9X EX+. I tested Super Mario Kart (USA) & (Europe) as well as Super Double Dragon (USA) & (Europe). In each case the (USA) ROM runs fine but the (Europe) ROM does not.

I'm sure there must be a setting to quickly fix this but I don't know how to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this question has already been answered 1,000 times before!

Thanks,

Matt P
mark_k
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Snes9X EX+ (Europe) ROMs‏ Graphical Glitch

Post by mark_k »

As far as I know Snes9X-EX is hard-coded to emulate an NTSC console, so many PAL games will have problems on it.
I don't know whether the Snes9X-EX developer will see this message, maybe try reporting the issue by email; address is on his web site.
mattp
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mattp »

Thanks for your reply Mark. It's a shame that I won't be able to play Europe (PAL) ROMs but at least now I know why.

In most cases the Europe and USA ROMs play exactly the same...but not so for Super Mario Kart. Two notable differences on SMK Europe (PAL) and USA (NTSC):
1. The "boost start" is timed differently. This may seem like a small thing but my friends and I have been playing SMK since 1992 and the Europe ROM timing for the boost start is hard-wired into our brains! I get the boost 9 out of 10 times on the Europe ROM but only about 1 out of 50 times on the USA ROM.
2. On Europe ROM "Bowser Castle 2" players can travel at max speed without the second set of jumps causing them to land in the lava. On the USA and Japan ROMs players will always land in the lava if they don't slow down. As the Europe ROM was the last to be released - it would seem to me that the developers regarded this as a glitch and fixed it before releasing the Europe ROM. This lava issue also affects the first set of jumps on "Bowser Castle 3"...but the developers left this in every version (maybe intentionally?)

I emailed the Snes9X EX+ developer at the same time as my original post here but I did not receive a reply. Thanks for your help Mark.
mark_k
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mark_k »

I guess quite a few PAL versions of games have adjusted timing. Probably Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars would be the most common examples.
Thankfully though, from the point of view of emulator use, it seems most developers were lazy and gameplay on a real PAL console was just slowed down vs on an NTSC console. So they play better on NTSC consoles.

Super Metroid is another game which was speed-adjusted for PAL consoles. The first time I played Super Metroid PAL was actually on an NTSC console, so it played 20% too fast. I only noticed that later when I played an NTSC Super Metroid cart and it seemed way easier. :)