OSX, Xbox wireless controller and it's idle feature

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Maloz
Snes9x White Belt

OSX, Xbox wireless controller and it's idle feature

Post by Maloz »

Hi all

first I would like to say thanks to all developers.
I recently bought an wireless Xbox controller, plugged my MBP via HDMI on my TV and was playing Terranigma like there is no tomorrow. This is so fucking awesome. I first had big issues with 1.53 which were sound issues like hell. Googled, went back to 1.51 and everything is working.
Then I have another issue: When the controller goes into idle (what happens after several minutes) and you want to use it again snes9x does not accept any input unless you restart it. You may know this sucks because I always need to get up from couch to do so. :D
Googled again but couldn’t find any solution. Do you have one?

tl;dr After controller was in idle snes9x does not accept input. snes9x needs to be restarted. Solution?

Having an MacBookPro with OSX 10.8.x. SNES9X 1.51 (checked with 1.53 – same behaviour).

Thanks for any feedback
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Re: OSX, Xbox wireless controller and it's idle feature

Post by adventure_of_link »

Did you upgrade to the latest OSX version (Mavericks)? It is/was available in the app store...

Also, can you be specific on the terranigma sound issues (eg, any incorrect sounds, ROM version, etc)? Because I'm playing Terranigma (European version) on Snes9X 1.53 build 113 on my iMac (late 2013 model) and it sounds okay to me... as for your controller I can't help you too much as I don't have a wireless controller for 360

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Maloz
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Maloz »

Thanks for your reply.

I had crackling and popping sounds in Terranigma. I googled and found another thread with an user who had the same problems. He tried to change sound settings (input bla, sync audio and so on) but it didn't help. Then I found out the sound engine in 1.53 was completely changed.
The user switched back to 1.51 with no sound problems. So I did.

Yes, I upgraded to Mountain Lion.
Regarding the controller this is really annoying. As soon as the controller goes into sleep/idle, you need to bring it back on and then you need to restart snes9x to make it work again.
I think I will create a script which restarts snes9x or a specific ROM. Then I need to configure the controller so I can run this script with just one button or something like this but I will need to install additional software which allows me to configure something like that. :D
Maloz
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Maloz »

Little update.

Found openemu.org. Downloaded it. Works perfect, no sound bugs, no lags, easy interface (even my girlfriend will understand it), more consoles in one application and the best: When you get your XBox wireless controller out of sleep, openemu recognizes it and you don't need to restart the application. fuckyeah.jpg

Sorry for not using Snes9x (except of its core) anymore.
mrwilly
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mrwilly »

I'm having this problem as well, extremely annoying.
Anyone have a fix?
mrwilly
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mrwilly »

Sorry, I meant the xbox wireless controller idle problem where you need to restart snes9x.
I'm running 1.53 on windows.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Use the most recent testbuild, it should redetect the controller (http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/).
mrwilly
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mrwilly »

Thanks, it works great! :)