SimAnt save time

Need a hint? Got a code or strategy? Share it all here!
mterry
Snes9x White Belt

SimAnt save time

Post by mterry »

Hello! I've searched online for this, but could only find complaints, not answers.

The SNES version of SimAnt took an unreasonably long time to save. On the order of five minutes, which is unheard of for a cartridge.

I've always wondered why that was the case.

Does anyone know what it could possibly be doing?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Is this a issue with the game (does this stuff happen when you run the game on a actual console), or does it happen because of the emulator you're using?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
mterry
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mterry »

Yeah, I should have clarified. This is an issue with the original cartridge on actual SNES hardware.

I thought this forum category was appropriate?
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Yep, this forum is appropriate. I'm not really sure as to why it takes so long to save...
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
SparroHawc
Official Android Porter

Post by SparroHawc »

My guess is that there isn't actually enough room in the cartridge's save memory to just keep the state of the game - so it compresses aggressively. The SNES doesn't exactly have hardware that's well-suited to data compression, so it takes a long time. Another example of this is Mario Paint - it takes so long to save and load that there's a song and animation that plays to keep you entertained.
bl0ckeduser
Snes9x White Belt

Post by bl0ckeduser »

SparroHawc wrote:My guess is that there isn't actually enough room in the cartridge's save memory to just keep the state of the game - so it compresses aggressively. The SNES doesn't exactly have hardware that's well-suited to data compression, so it takes a long time.
brute force to the rescue !