Super Mario World "ultra low spin jump" ?

Need a hint? Got a code or strategy? Share it all here!
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Super Mario World "ultra low spin jump" ?

Post by jdb2 »

Does anyone know how to perform a "low"/"ultra low"/"short" spin-jump wherein Mario hardly gains any altitude yet crushes his enemy or jumps horizontally? You need this move in order to play Kaizo Mario especially at the part in the first level where you're stuck between the ground and black piranhas above and walking bombs are approaching. If you do a normal spin jump, no matter how quickly you press the "A" key, you jump up into the piranhas and die. I see everyone doing this "low spin jump" using Snes9x on Youtube while playing Kaizo Mario but I've yet to find any explanation of how to perform it.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

jdb2
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

My guess would be to duck and spin jump at the same time, whilst moving in the desired direction.

Could you post a link to said video(s)?
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdb2 »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:My guess would be to duck and spin jump at the same time, whilst moving in the desired direction.
That was also my first idea but it doesn't work.
Could you post a link to said video(s)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAqRZX4hbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86NLwCYXfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAxz7B1k8g4

or just a search

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... mario&aq=f

and look for "level 1" or "stage 1" in the results.

Regards,

jdb2
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdb2 »

Specifically, here is the area I can't get past :

jdb2
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Wow; that was seriously amazing...

I would ask the guy that made the vid... I'm out of ideas on this one. :?
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdb2 »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Wow; that was seriously amazing...

I made the pic using DrNokSnes ( an Snes9x derivative, among others ) on my Nokia N900.

I've asked people who've uploaded Youtube videos but they never respond.

According to someone on the SMWCentral forums, a light tap on the "A" button is all it takes to do the super-low-spin-jump, but I can't get it to work, at least not with my netbook's keyboard. Also, the same person suggested using "slowdowns" which I found out was a feature of the ZSNES emulator that I'm still trying to build under 64-bit Linux. ( the Ubuntu MOTU devs have screwed up a package again, this time the GNU Binutils. My ld doesn't support sysroots which I need to build the emulator because it is 32-bit only and IMNSHO a big ugly kludge )
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

jdb2 wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:Wow; that was seriously amazing...

I made the pic using DrNokSnes ( an Snes9x derivative, among others ) on my Nokia N900.

I've asked people who've uploaded Youtube videos but they never respond.

According to someone on the SMWCentral forums, a light tap on the "A" button is all it takes to do the super-low-spin-jump, but I can't get it to work, at least not with my netbook's keyboard. Also, the same person suggested using "slowdowns" which I found out was a feature of the ZSNES emulator that I'm still trying to build under 64-bit Linux. ( the Ubuntu MOTU devs have screwed up a package again, this time the GNU Binutils. My ld doesn't support sysroots which I need to build the emulator because it is 32-bit only and IMNSHO a big ugly kludge )
LOL, mostly that's gibberish to me since I barely know how to even install Ubuntu. XD
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Post by BearOso »

jdb2 wrote:According to someone on the SMWCentral forums, a light tap on the "A" button is all it takes to do the super-low-spin-jump, but I can't get it to work, at least not with my netbook's keyboard.
I suspect it is your keyboard not reacting to the release fast enough. I can get it to work here (gtk port) by tapping the key really fast.

You could try assigning a key to "Turbo A" and tap the key as fast as you can. This automatically turns off the key on the second held frame and thereby gives the keyboard an extra 16ms to respond.
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdb2 »

BearOso wrote:
jdb2 wrote:According to someone on the SMWCentral forums, a light tap on the "A" button is all it takes to do the super-low-spin-jump, but I can't get it to work, at least not with my netbook's keyboard.
I suspect it is your keyboard not reacting to the release fast enough. I can get it to work here (gtk port) by tapping the key really fast.

You could try assigning a key to "Turbo A" and tap the key as fast as you can. This automatically turns off the key on the second held frame and thereby gives the keyboard an extra 16ms to respond.
Tried that, but doesn't seem to work. I'm almost sure it is this crappy netbook keyboard. I need to buy a controller. What do you recommend?

Regards,

jdb2
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Squall, stay out of this...

I have the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad and it works great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Squall, stay out of this...
...and you have the authority to tell people to stay out of people's threads because...?

If squall comes in and flames, we'll deal with it. Simple. :)

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

adventure_of_link wrote:
...and you have the authority to tell people to stay out of people's threads because...?

No, just the fact that he's done this twice wants me to take precautions... I guess I'm just paranoid like that. :roll:
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:

No, just the fact that he's done this twice wants me to take precautions... I guess I'm just paranoid like that. :roll:
As I said, we'll deal with the stupidity as it comes along, dude. :) I'm not necessarily trying to make you feel uncomfortable or like I'm bullying you (which wasn't the intention either way), but if stupidity comes, it'll be swiftly kicked in the rear-end.

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Thanks for assuring that.

Now, back on topic!

OP, have you purchased a game controller yet?
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Rather than purchasing a game controller, the current SNES9X has a FADV feature, right? You could simply use that, hit the A button for 1 frame, then resume at normal speed.

Simply purchasing a controller may not necessarily fix the problem anyhow. Issues with emulators running properly on the many current systems there are are common, and emulators may not work correctly. This could be an issue with the way your laptop and/or emulator are detecting the input, and there's little you can do about something like that.
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdb2 »

Well, I bought a controller today. I was going to get the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad but Best Buy ( yes, i know, the store sucks ) only had the next version up -- the Logitech Gamepad F310.

It was auto-detected on my Linux Mint 9 Isadora KDE 64-bit netbook and I set up the bindings without incident in Snes9x. I had to get used to the feel but after that I was back at that same part in Kaizo Mario that I had previously been stuck AND..... pressing the "A" button LIGHTNING FAST produces the "ultra low spin jump." :D

So, problem solved for now.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Regards,

jdb2

EDIT : And BTW, I didn't have to to use any "turbo" key/buttons. :)
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Awesome. Good luck on this game, it seems sadistic...
jdb2
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jdb2 »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Awesome. Good luck on this game, it seems sadistic...
Heh, yeah, more like masochistic for me. ;) I've completed the first level and gotten half-way through the yellow-switch palace. Currently I'm stuck by the P-block at the far left end of the level because I don't seem to have the spidy-senses needed to speedrun the level in reverse after the P-block is activated.

Anyway, thanks again.

jdb2
mro314
Snes9x White Belt

Post by mro314 »

You have to press A for 3 frames or less while not moving, to be exact. But it is possible to do a low spin-jump at a speed of 23 or less if you press it for only 1 frame.