Sony stops making floppy disks

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.

Do you still have floppies?

I still have media even older than floppies.
No votes
I have floppy disks of the 5.25-inch variety.
43%
I have nothing older than 3.5-inch floppies.
29%
I stopped using floppies some time ago.
29%
Floppy disks? Are those, like, CDs or DVDs, or, like, something?
No votes
CDs? DVDs? What are these things these old people are talking about?
No votes

Total votes: 7

kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Sony stops making floppy disks

Post by kolechovski »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20100426/tc_zd/250362

I still have some 5.25s that I failed to rescue the data from before giving away the computer that could read them, so now I have stranded data, the likes of which I don't even know is needed or not. I also have plenty of 3.5s, and I still have a fairly-recent drive that can read them. I still need to hunt down some boxes of them I have stored somewhere.

I also have some disks that had data saved on them from a Mac, but without a Mac, that data is also considered stranded. I still plan to keep using my floppies for some time, though only for certain data storage anymore/permanent backups (like games and such).
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

I have 5.25" floppies in a picture frame; they're the original game discs for the Apple II, Ghostbusters and Silent Service. :P

I actually still use floppies on a semi-weekly basis; If I need to transfer data to my old Win95 laptop that has NO usb ports, then I use floppies.

I also use floppies when I don't feel like pulling out my UFD/Ext. HDD to shuttle around data.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
kolechovski
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by kolechovski »

Silent Service existed before the NES? Wow. I oughtta fire it up on an Apple emulator, which reminds me, that I haven't got to play the Apple Maniac Mansion yet, or completed one of my videos for the NES I meant to get finished. I'll have to wrap that up...
The soldier was forced to desert his dessert in the desert.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Yeah, Silent Service has been around forever... :P
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!