Stupid pointless poll time: What OS are you running?

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.

So, what runs yer box?

Some flavor of DOS (IBM PC-DOS/FreeDOS/etc.)
No votes
Windows 3.x
No votes
Win95
1%
Win98/SE
1%
WinME
1%
Win NT
No votes
Win2k
1%
Win2k Server
No votes
Win2k Adv. Server
No votes
Win2K Datacenter
No votes
XP Home
22%
XP Pro
24%
XP Media Center
No votes
XP Pro x64 Edition
3%
Windows Vista RCx
1%
Win Server 2003
1%
RedHat/Fedora
No votes
Debian
3%
Mandriva
No votes
Gentoo
3%
SuSE
1%
Slackware
No votes
Yellow Dog
1%
TurboLinux
No votes
KNOPPIX
No votes
Linspire
No votes
Ubuntu
11%
MacOS
1%
OSX
8%
BeOS
1%
UNIX
No votes
FreeBSD
1%
OpenBSD
No votes
NetBSD
No votes
Solaris
1%
SunOS
No votes
Irix
No votes
CP-M
No votes
AmigaOS
No votes
Other (do tell)
4%
Win Vista
No votes
Windows 7
9%

Total votes: 79

Ryan
Grand Poobah

Stupid pointless poll time: What OS are you running?

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, been done before, but I recently changed OSes so I feel like finding out who runs what, so there. Besides, it's getting awfully quiet 'round here.

Yes, this is going to be ridiculous.

If I could allow for more than one vote per person, or mutliple vote choices per person, I would, since I'm sure more than a few of us run mutiple OSes.
For sake of argument and such, vote for your main OS, the one you use most on your main box. I'm now running XP x64 Edition myself.

Edit: Added Vista (non RC) and Win 7 for gits and shiggles.
Last edited by Ryan on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
rsa1988
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by rsa1988 »

Edited so that I could put content back in.

Well I have Windows Xp still running on my personal computer and running great. I plan to Kubuntu on a laptop that I just got. Other than that there is nothing much to say.
Last edited by rsa1988 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm not sure we need that many variations of Win2k/XP... just a simple Win2k and WinXP would do just fine....
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

deathlike: what if you really wanted to get specific :P

but seriously, on my desktop/server I use Gentoo Linux (and run windows 2000 in vmware on occassion)

on my laptop, I dual-boot between windows xp home edition and freespire 1.0.13

also you forgot freespire and windows xp tablet PC edition..

one more thing: how did you get to input a bazillion and one poll options?

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

adventure_of_link wrote:deathlike: what if you really wanted to get specific :P
AOL, take two seconds to think about it.

If this poll bothered to expand on the Ubuntu variations, we would have another 3 options. Seriously, there is a concept called "being too specific".
Clintoris
Admin of Gayville, SD

Post by Clintoris »

Even if one is just joking?
Derwin
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by Derwin »

Windows XP Home on both Laptops.
Windows XP Pro on the desktop (when it works lol).

Am trying to build up a 98 Box out of old parts at present, for the older games I have :)
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

This poll is extremely invalid, for the following reasons:

Windows 3.x - This is not an OS.
Win NT - This includes: Win2k, Win2k Server, Win2k Adv. Server, Win2K Datacenter, XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center, XP Pro x64 Edition, Win Server 2003
Win2k - This includes: Win2k Server, Win2k Adv. Server, Win2K Datacenter
MacOS - Includes OSX
UNIX - Includes: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, SunOS, OSX, Irix, and arguably every Linux distro you listed.
Solaris - Includes SunOS.

While your poll lacks: DragonFlyBSD, AIX, HP-UX, Xenix, Caledra, QDOS, ReactOS, SkyOS, MEPIS, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, CentOS, Xandros, KANOTIX, PC-BSD, DesktopBSD, Helix, Yoper, PHLAK, Morphix, XP Starter Edition, Edubuntu, SLAX, and many other BSD based OSs, Linux Distros, hobbyist OSs, long forgotten OSs.

You listed an other, but that fails to explain why some unused or long dead OSs are on the list while other popular ones aren't.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Ryan »

Nach wrote:This poll is extremely invalid....
A matter of opinion mostly, though I went into this without the slightest bit of seriousness. Thought it would be obvious truth be told.
, for the following reasons:

Windows 3.x - This is not an OS.
True enough, it was just a GUI on top of DOS.
Win NT - This includes: Win2k, Win2k Server, Win2k Adv. Server, Win2K Datacenter, XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center, XP Pro x64 Edition, Win Server 2003
Semantics. "Based" on NT" is not the same as "NT". Every listed OS has differences enough between them.
Again, semantics. Also redundant, see your above retort. ;)
MacOS - Includes OSX
No, MacOS and OSX are 2 totally different Operating Systems.
UNIX - Includes: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, SunOS, OSX, Irix, and arguably every Linux distro you listed.
Mostly. Linux is UNIX like, but isn't UNIX.
Yeah pretty much, but if you read about it on Wikipedia, you'd know that there is anough of a difference between names that it can denote a difference in what is actually installed. :P

While your poll lacks: DragonFlyBSD, AIX, HP-UX, Xenix, Caledra, QDOS, ReactOS, SkyOS, MEPIS, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, CentOS, Xandros, KANOTIX, PC-BSD, DesktopBSD, Helix, Yoper, PHLAK, Morphix, XP Starter Edition, Edubuntu, SLAX, and many other BSD based OSs, Linux Distros, hobbyist OSs, long forgotten OSs.
Guilty as charged. I was being silly, not truly thorough. And one could argue that simply packaging a Linux distro with a specific window manager does not magically create a whole new distro. Thus Kubuntu and Xubuntu and all the other distros similarly changed are not worth noting, IMO.

You listed an other, but that fails to explain why some unused or long dead OSs are on the list while other popular ones aren't.
Again, I was being silly. Forgive me for not making it further obvious.
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Deathlike2 wrote:I'm not sure we need that many variations of Win2k/XP... just a simple Win2k and WinXP would do just fine....
1) Where did your sense of humor go? Is it lost?

2) My poll, I'll make it as I please, so :P
Nach
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Nach »

Ryan wrote:
Semantics. "Based" on NT" is not the same as "NT".
No.
It my included list, there was NT 5, NT 5.1, and NT 5.2 listed respectively.
If you meant to say NT 4 - the last version specifically marketed as "NT", then say NT 4.
Ryan wrote:
Again, semantics. Also redundant, see your above retort. ;)
And again, it should have been specified Win 2000 Professional for the original one to not make it inclusive.
Ryan wrote:
MacOS - Includes OSX
No, MacOS and OSX are 2 totally different Operating Systems.
What was originally refered to solely as "Mac OS" is now refered to as "Mac OS Classic". While Mac OS Classic and Mac OS X are totally different operating systems, if you say just "Mac OS" you are refering to an operating system designed by Apple for their Macintosh computers for the consumer market.
Ryan wrote:

Mostly. Linux is UNIX like, but isn't UNIX.
Yes, I said that was arguable. However every other OS listed there is derived from the original AT&T Unix source code, and some of them are even licensed to call themselves Unix.
Ryan wrote:
Yeah pretty much, but if you read about it on Wikipedia, you'd know that there is anough of a difference between names that it can denote a difference in what is actually installed. :P
If you type "uname -a" on a machine running Solaris, it'll tell you SunOS vx.x.

Ryan wrote: Guilty as charged. I was being silly, not truly thorough. And one could argue that simply packaging a Linux distro with a specific window manager does not magically create a whole new distro. Thus Kubuntu and Xubuntu and all the other distros similarly changed are not worth noting, IMO.
Okay, but quite a few of those are very different under the hood than other things you listed, DragonFlyBSD for example.
Ryan wrote: Again, I was being silly. Forgive me for not making it further obvious.
That's fine. And please forgive the semantics Nazi for commenting on all this.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ryan wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:I'm not sure we need that many variations of Win2k/XP... just a simple Win2k and WinXP would do just fine....
1) Where did your sense of humor go? Is it lost?

2) My poll, I'll make it as I please, so :P
1) It's kinda hidden in the poll :wink:

2) How about adding Win2k Workstation and Win2k Professional... just for completeness :D
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Nach wrote: That's fine. And please forgive the semantics Nazi for commenting on all this.
Forgiven. :D
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

Deathlike2 wrote: 1) It's kinda hidden in the poll :wink:

2) How about adding Win2k Workstation and Win2k Professional... just for completeness :D
Eh, I noted it was gonna be ridiculous. Of course I didn't realize that phpBB2 puts the poll options above the post, unlike most forums softwares.

As to Win2K "Workstation", that I'm aware of no such beast exists. Pro was the lowest Win2K version.
Deathlike2
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ryan wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote: 1) It's kinda hidden in the poll :wink:

Eh, I noted it was gonna be ridiculous. Of course I didn't realize that phpBB2 puts the poll options above the post, unlike most forums softwares.

As to Win2K "Workstation", that I'm aware of no such beast exists. Pro was the lowest Win2K version.
Hmm.. I thought there was a Workstation version... albeit a crippled Win2k... oh well.
jtull89
Snes9x White Belt

Post by jtull89 »

XP Home
"There are too many monsters these days..."

-Final Fantasy IV, SNES version called Final Fantasy II
Clements
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by Clements »

XP Home Edition SP2 for both of my computers.
SqEn206
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by SqEn206 »

Main desktop - Dual-boot between XP Professional and Red Hat
Laptop - Windows 2K Professional
85cocoa
Snes9x White Belt

Post by 85cocoa »

XP Home. Because I'm lazy. I have no useful info to contribute to the Linux debates. Enough said.
Q: Can ZSNES run on a monkey? A: No, not enough RAM. I was -_pentium5.1_- until I screwed up
willyweedle
Snes9x White Belt

Post by willyweedle »

I'm currently switching between xp home and feather linux. I'm doing this because feather is being a little hard-headed (which linux distro isn't...) when it comes to installing my lucent linmodem and xp accepts it gracefully. I also have a second harddisk (the first is running xp) that has 14 partitions with feather, puppy, zenlive, blueflops, mulinux, dsl, trinity, and 7 more partitions that I haven't made use of yet (plus the extended and a swap of course).