Favorite Nintendo Controller

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.

Which Nintendo controller did you like the best?

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
6%
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
53%
Nintendo 64 (N64)
22%
Nintendo Gamecube (NGC)
14%
Wii
6%

Total votes: 36

Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

*headsplort*
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
athenian200
Snes9x White Belt

Post by athenian200 »

My favorite was probably the SNES controller, followed by the GameCube controller.

The NES controller was usable, but I didn't like the fact that it had hard edges and few buttons.

The SNES controller was just perfect somehow. If there were any good adapters, I'd use it for PC Gaming. Yes, the D-Pad IS good enough for 3-D gaming. Some of us still use arrow keys or WASD.

The N64 controller SUCKED. It was too bulky, especially if you used the slot on the back. My hands were often sore playing it, and I disliked being forced to use the Control Stick instead of the D-Pad in many 3-D titles. There were way too many possible functions, what with C-buttons, a D-Pad often unused, and an Analog stick. There's a good reason why Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong 64 the only N64 games I've ever beaten on the actual system... let's just say I didn't beat Super Mario 64 until the DS version came out.

The GameCube controller was better. I still don't care for analog sticks in the case of character movement, but at least this one was more solid, well-placed, larger/cushioned, and easy to use. It was clearly designed with ergonomics in mind. Making the C-buttons into a C-stick was brilliant (because camera movement IS where you want an analog stick). I really like this controller.

I can't comment on the Wii controller because I haven't played it. It's not that I don't want one, so much as that I don't want to get one until I've beaten all my GameCube games. I have a feeling it's not going to be that great, though. On the other hand, arm movements may actually be an improvement on those dumb analog sticks. I really need to try it.

I have to say that I like all the Game Boy controls, though. The original Game Boy had the same number of buttons as the NES, but it was more comfortable to hold. I still play my original Game Boy, actually.

And as more proof that the SNES controller had it right... take a good look at the Nintendo DS and GBA sometime. Then look at an SNES controller. Notice anything? ;)

Oh, and I liked the PS2 controller. Mostly because it was basically the SNES controller with two analog sticks stuck onto the bottom. It would be third place after the GC controller, which my gut tells me is an ergonomically refined and Nintendo-ized version of that controller.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Well, also you have to remember that games like SSB just wouldn't really work without a analog input.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
demarki
Snes9x White Belt

Post by demarki »

SNES for sure, the most simple, practical and comfortable controller ever created.
linkruler1974
Snes9x White Belt

Post by linkruler1974 »

gamecube controller makes me a video game expert on any game when I use it.