Bubsy Two-Fur uses snes9x?

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.
angahith
Snes9x White Belt

Bubsy Two-Fur uses snes9x?

Post by angahith »

Hey guys, turns out the Steam release of the two Bubsy games, which promises "faithful emulation" uses snes9x to achieve that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/426630/

Some people on SA wanted to see how it's emulated and well...

https://i.imgur.com/v2DJIN3.png

Check the strings in the bottom, right corner.

Since I don't see any mention of snes9x in their description, I have to wonder if this even happened with your permission.
badinsults
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Bubsy Two-Fur uses snes9x?

Post by badinsults »

I've written a short article on this.

The publisher of Bubsy Two-Fur claims to have got permission from Jerremy Koot and Gary Henderson to release this, though the other developers have said they were not contacted. Basically they say they stripped out the other author's code, but that would leave them with a version of snes9x that would be similar to pre-1.39. I doubt that that code would be portable.
angahith
Snes9x White Belt

Post by angahith »

Yeah, I showed the screenshot to GPM yesterday, he tweeted about it and it seems the entire thing just exploded over the last few hours.
Something that still bothers me about it, is that Piko Interactive, who supposedly "developed" the Steam version, weren't actually mentioned anywhere. Not on the store page, not in the game's files, not on the splash screen they added. There's only (c) 2015 Retroism.
Only after this exploded, they added something about it to the Q&A.

So yeah, the company that holds their so-called "license" isn't even credited.
badinsults
Snes9x White Belt

Post by badinsults »

If they managed to find Gary Henderson, that is impressive. Apparently no one has heard from him since the early 2000s.

Can you tell which version of SNES9x they were using from your debugger? If indeed they are using something earlier than SNES9x 1.39 (I doubt it), then they might be in the clear.
angahith
Snes9x White Belt

Post by angahith »

I'll try to look into it when I get home later, but from what I've heard, it's based on 1.43