Dual Monitor Question..

Here you can talk about anything not covered by the other forums. Please post in the Tech Support forum for problems using Snes9x.
davidnay
Snes9x White Belt

Dual Monitor Question..

Post by davidnay »

I'd like to use a dual monitor setup- I would be working on the first monitor (looking at Youtube, Facebook or something like that) while my daughter plays SNESX9 at fullscreen on the second monitor. Can this be done without my keyboard and mouse use interfering with the game on the second monitor?
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Re: Dual Monitor Question..

Post by Ryan »

Due to Snes9x losing focus when you do your work, it seems unlikely. There would need to be a way for the emulator to continue to accept input from the gamepad and such while not having focus to make that work.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

It should theoretically be possible if you set Input:Background to On and PauseWhenInactive to FALSE in snes9x.conf.
davidnay
Snes9x White Belt

Post by davidnay »

Thanks. I gave it a shot, but it didn't work unfortunately. I guess I'm the only one who would like this feature :)
OV2

Post by OV2 »

What doesn't work? Are you using a gamepad for snes9x?
Ryan
Grand Poobah

Post by Ryan »

davidnay wrote:Thanks. I gave it a shot, but it didn't work unfortunately. I guess I'm the only one who would like this feature :)
FWIW, I just set Snes9x up the way OV2 mentions and it worked fine for me. I mapped my controller, made sure the 2 settings mentioned were done, loaded a ROM and then click off the emulation window to drop focus, I was still able to play. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Might want to completely delete the contents of your Snes9x directory and start completely fresh. It's possible you got conflicting settings or other cruft helping cause issue.
InsaneFirebat
Snes9x White Belt

Post by InsaneFirebat »

It doesn't work because your keyboard inputs will still go to the emulator. If you press F5 in your browser while the emulator is running (with background input enabled and pausing disabled), the emulator will load state 5. This was not an issue in v1.53 (sorry, I mostly skipped v1.54) as the emulator would only accept hotkeys if it had focus. Controller inputs would always work.

Is this something that might be reverted later? Or maybe an option added to go back to old functionality? Or should I just downgrade back to v1.53?
InsaneFirebat
Snes9x White Belt

Post by InsaneFirebat »

I guess the answer is to downgrade then.
OV2

Post by OV2 »

I might add an option again when I can find the time. It was removed 7 years ago.
OV2

Post by OV2 »

I've added an option to disable keyboard hotkeys with background input in the most recent testbuild.
InsaneFirebat
Snes9x White Belt

Post by InsaneFirebat »

Thank you for adding the Background Keyboard Hotkeys option! Just found the v1.56 release.