GTK/X11 Port (aka Linux/UNIX GUI)

This is for people involved in the developement of Snes9x, or SNES emulators in general.
BUG REPORTS BELONG IN TECH SUPPORT/BUG TRACKING!
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Revision 31

Post by BearOso »

Another revision is available. This one is all bug fixes, and not really critical unless you're using Xv.
BearOso

Revision 32 (and 33)

Post by BearOso »

Yet another bug-fix revision is posted. This one only concerns OpenGL.

*edit* And another bug-fix release to fix the bug-fix release. :-)
deniseweird
Snes9x White Belt

Post by deniseweird »

It would be nice if we could have just the menu-bar displayed in fullscreen, and make it appear/disappear by pressing a button. That way we don't need to go into windowed mode for changing settings. :D Is it possible/feasable to add? Could you also make the screen initially display a black background, or a background picture, instead of the blank background? (before you turn on a game I mean)
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

deniseweird wrote:It would be nice if we could have just the menu-bar displayed in fullscreen, and make it appear/disappear by pressing a button. That way we don't need to go into windowed mode for changing settings. :D Is it possible/feasable to add?
It's feasible. There are problems with such functions coupled with changing the resolution, however. The reason I haven't allowed this before is because the resolution would limit dialog window sizes. The preferences are at an unshrinkable (currently) 600 pixels high, so if you use 640x480 or lower, the window gets clipped. I'll see what I can do with this. Really, you shouldn't be changing settings often enough that it becomes a problem. :wink:
Could you also make the screen initially display a black background, or a background picture, instead of the blank background? (before you turn on a game I mean)
The background would already be black if the program didn't intentionally draw that "blank" rectangle there. :-) I guess this is an OK idea, considering it defines a visible "content area" for usability sake. I've got an idea for handling this in a minimalist sort of way.
deniseweird
Snes9x White Belt

Post by deniseweird »

Sounds good to me!! :D
Nu Zalem
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Nu Zalem »

Hello, this is my first post here. It's been said before but I must say this again. This is a very awesome tool you have created BearOso. It gave me hell trying to configure it thanks to SDL and other dependencies but after hours of frustration I finally got it configured and working. The only thing I need to solve now is sound and that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Once again, good stuff you've made my already nice Linux experience even better.
BearOso

Revision 34

Post by BearOso »

I've posted version 34. See the release notes in the first post for what's new.
deniseweird
Snes9x White Belt

Post by deniseweird »

Simply amazing! :D When we request something you're always so quick getting it in, how do you manage?

The splash image and menu bar is very nice. The only problem was that the status bar is also shown when the menu bar is. Other than that, maybe marketing? I consider this better than the original Windows version was now, so is there any talk of making your improvements official? Also, maybe you could continue the version scheme that was used? (So version 1.55 or something, instead of 1.51 gtk 34) Just a thought. :)
Nu Zalem
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Nu Zalem »

Well I spent a bit more time today figuring out why my sound isn't working and I seem to get closer to the reason.

[qoute][VolusX@localhost ~]$ snes9x-gtk -sound
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
Error opening sound device: Device unavailable[/quote]

I followed the instructions on this page but it didn't help too much. http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I even tried running as root but of course that didn't solve the problem either but it was worth doing. Googling isn't helping much either because I'm finding people are having the same issues as I am but not a clear cut solution. So any help in solving this annoying JACK situation would be greatly appreciated. If any more info is needed please let me know I will gladly put it up.
deniseweird
Snes9x White Belt

Post by deniseweird »

Is there a particular reason to use JACK? Otherwise you could install OSS4, wich has good software mixing and very low latency. If you also recompile portaudio without ALSA support, it should work fine. (Look at the first post here if you don't know how.) The only problem though is that some people at the right places more or less enforce ALSA, either by removing support for anything else, or by simply ignoring any problems with anything else, so no sound from Phonon for example, and no way to uninstall ALSA in most ditros, etc. But if you can live without those, OSS is certainly the best sound system ever, and recommended.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

Nu Zalem wrote:Well I spent a bit more time today figuring out why my sound isn't working and I seem to get closer to the reason.
[VolusX@localhost ~]$ snes9x-gtk -sound
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
Error opening sound device: Device unavailable
I followed the instructions on this page but it didn't help too much. http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I even tried running as root but of course that didn't solve the problem either but it was worth doing. Googling isn't helping much either because I'm finding people are having the same issues as I am but not a clear cut solution. So any help in solving this annoying JACK situation would be greatly appreciated. If any more info is needed please let me know I will gladly put it up.
There is a JACK backend in portaudio, so that shouldn't be the problem. You can try

Code: Select all

$ killall -9 jackd
to kill off the jack daemon and see if it is.

Another solution, if you're using Ubuntu 8.04 or Fedora 9, or otherwise using PulseAudio, is to run the padsp wrapper program. Try launching snes9x with

Code: Select all

$ padsp snes9x-gtk
BearOso

Revision 35

Post by BearOso »

I've uploaded another release. This mainly fixes issues with the last one. I also appended to the release notes for 34 that the buttons used for key assignments have been changed to text entries that operate similarly.
deniseweird
Snes9x White Belt

Post by deniseweird »

I request that you give other emulators the treatment you did for Snes9x also ;) Seriously though, why isn't your version of Snes9x official? Sorry for nagging about this, but your GUI is so good, and we risk having too many people not discovering this as it is, and that is a real shame, since I doubt anyone who tries this would ever think the official Unix version is better than yours. I could maybe report now and then when you release new versions, to emulation news sites if you want.
BearOso

Revision 36

Post by BearOso »

I've released another version. This should fix Nu Zalem's issue and allow sound to work without the wrapper on Ubuntu and Fedora with PulseAudio.

*edit* Make sure to get version 37. A stupid mistake was left in 36. :wink:
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

deniseweird wrote:I request that you give other emulators the treatment you did for Snes9x also ;)
I don't think I'll be doing any others. The SNES is the legacy system I have the most interest in. :(
Seriously though, why isn't your version of Snes9x official? Sorry for nagging about this, but your GUI is so good, and we risk having too many people not discovering this as it is, and that is a real shame, since I doubt anyone who tries this would ever think the official Unix version is better than yours.
If the Snes9x developers wanted to include this port as part of the official distribution, I'd be glad to allow it. I really don't want to shove this at them, though, especially if they have other intentions.
I could maybe report now and then when you release new versions, to emulation news sites if you want.
You're free to do so, but don't feel obligated.
cmdreamer
Snes9x White Belt

Successfull compilation on Fedora 9

Post by cmdreamer »

Hi all, I've recently installed Fedora 9, I'm a Fedora user since Fedora Core 4 and I'm always searching for something interesting to do.
On Fedora 8 I've used snes9x and started it with a front-end but since the OS upgrade I found none to use.
Recently (a couple of hours actually) I discovered this project and downloaded the precompiled binary but it didn't worked, I think sound configuration problems, so I decided to compile it myself.
I must say it compiled with no problem at all after installing the dependencies that Enji listed on page 10 of this thread.
BTW Enji, I don't have libtool installed and the source compiled with no problems (beside the huge list of warnings you pointed before). So I can say libtool is not required.

Just in case is useful here are my box specs:
OS: Fedora 9, Kernel: 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686, RAM: 1 GB, GCC version: gcc (GCC) 4.3.0 20080428, snes9x-gtk sources version: 37, Graphic 3D Card: ATI Radeon 9200.
I think that's enough, if someone need more info, let me know.

Now that I have compiled it I'm going to test it, if I encounter any problem I'll be back and post it. BTW I'm going to play it with a PSX Dualshock Gamepad connected through LPT1 port, which was correctly detected and configured in digital mode.

Thanks a lot BearOso for this great enhancement to snes9x I prefer it over ZSnes.

Best regards.
spamatica
Snes9x White Belt

Post by spamatica »

Seriously though, why isn't your version of Snes9x official? Sorry for nagging about this, but your GUI is so good, and we risk having too many people not discovering this as it is, and that is a real shame, since I doubt anyone who tries this would ever think the official Unix version is better than yours.
If the Snes9x developers wanted to include this port as part of the official distribution, I'd be glad to allow it. I really don't want to shove this at them, though, especially if they have other intentions.
Hi there and big thanks for this MAJOR improvement of snes9x in Linux, dunno if you made any changes to the emulation but it seems it just works better. :)
I really think you should try to get in touch with the maintainer of the web. Just putting an entry on the news page that this version exists would go a long way. Listing it on the download page is even better.
I stumbled on this version really by accident, if it was on the front page so many more could benefit.

Cheers
Tithis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tithis »

I'm having trouble with the sound in this version(37) It stutters constantly.
BearOso

Post by BearOso »

Tithis wrote:I'm having trouble with the sound in this version(37) It stutters constantly.
Did you have trouble with the previous versions, or is this the first version you've tried?

Some possible fixes are to play with the sample rate in the sound settings. 32000hz is recommended, so make sure you try that first, then try the higher settings.

As an aside, I'm planning a sound-buffer-size setting for the next release, so if you can't fix it with this one, keep an eye out for the next.

*edit*
Ok, I've uploaded version 38. This fixes a regression version 37 introduced that might have caused your problem, and also adds an option to control the buffer size.
Tithis
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Tithis »

Thank you the new version fixed the problem :) Your a very responsive developer. If I come across any bugs I'll be sure to post them.