How do I soft reset?

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
gachan
Snes9x White Belt

How do I soft reset?

Post by gachan »

Ok, I'm new. Hi everyone :D
I know it's a basic question, but I read the whole of snes9x help, the FAQ here and searched the topics, still I cannot seem to find a hint. I use snes9x 1.51 (85).
I see there are 2 different commands stating the word "reset" in the "emulation" top menu, one is "software reset" and the other on e is "hardware reset". So my exact question is:

Which one acts exactly like the Reset button on an actual Snes console?

I just finished Fire Emblem 4, and see the game counts the number of times you finish it, supposedly adding new scenes after each playthrough. Now the final screen of the game doesn't prompt you the save, nor do you return to the title screen anyhow. I read on gamefaqs.com I have to soft reset.
Now I know soft reset sounds a lot like "software reset", but I have to be sure, for I'm not going through another 40 hours of playing just to see at the end of it that "software reset" actually just resets the rom without updating the SRAM. For updating the SRAM at the ending screen seems to be what the original cartridge does.
Thank you guys, and sorry if I missed the answer somewhere it would have already been given.
zones
Official Mac OSX Porter/Dev

Post by zones »

Both "software reset" and "hardware reset" write the .srm file just before reset, and read it just after reset.
gachan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by gachan »

Oh... Ok thanks a lot. So, what would be the difference between the two then?
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Software reset is like pressing the reset button on the snes, hardware reset is like switching it off and then on again.
gachan
Snes9x White Belt

Post by gachan »

Thanks a lot!
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

OV2 wrote:Software reset is like pressing the reset button on the snes, hardware reset is like switching it off and then on again.
To perform a Soft reset, choose File > Reset Game.

To perform a Hard reset, Leave SNES9x and reopen it.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!