Super Punch-Out crashes during Mad Clown fight

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Boyo
Snes9x White Belt

Super Punch-Out crashes during Mad Clown fight

Post by Boyo »

I am using snes9x v1.53. Whenever I play Super Punch-Out, the game crashes during the Mad Clown fight. By crash, I mean that it displays a garbled mess of sprites on the screen. The emulator is still functioning and I can reset and start playing again.

It could be a bad rom, but the checksum is ok and it's supposed to be "verified," for what it's worth. Has anyone run into this before?

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the crash. The emulator itself crashed shortly after I took this screenshot.

mbd36
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Super Punch-Out crashes during Mad Clown fight

Post by mbd36 »

This is definitely an emulator bug. I can verify that game plays fine with BSNES but crashes during Mad Clown fight in SNES9X 1.53.
rockyfrog
Snes9x White Belt

Post by rockyfrog »

Thats odd, Super Punch out never did that to me on my Snes9x 1.53?.
RudyC3
Snes9x White Belt

Post by RudyC3 »

I know this is an old topic but since after checking on the latest build of 1.53 if this was still the case (my bro plays better than me it's one of his favourite games so I had him playtest this), it seems this issue never got corrected. Have their been any attempts to fix this? Cause I get the exact same issue. I know playing with the PAL rom is one workaround, but having to play the game in 50Hz kinda sucks :/. ZSNES gets that part of the game right, no crashes but I hate the video options of ZSNES, I vastly prefer SNES9X and this is, for now, the one game that I can't play correctly on SNES9X. Would be great if someone could figure out what's going on and fix the issue.

For the record, I get the exact same thing as mentioned in the op, the game just crashes in the middle of the mad clown fight and this is always caused by his special attack kind of thing, so the glitch can be reproduced consistently on the emulator. It crashes absolutely every time Mad Clown does that.
Dinierto
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Dinierto »

I also have this problem. I understand that the devs are busy people, but this bug is very frustrating. I would even make a donation if it would help.
bootsum
Snes9x White Belt

Post by bootsum »

Same here, even using the latest Snes9x testbuild. The mad clown usually crashes when he is doing the brain squash. :cry:
bootsum
Snes9x White Belt

Post by bootsum »

bootsum wrote:Same here, even using the latest Snes9x testbuild. The mad clown usually crashes when he is doing the brain squash. :cry:
Test and confirmed. Bug is clearly reproducible. The mad clown crashes every time he is doing the brain squash (except the very first time).

In case if anyone wants to investigate that bug, I have uploaded the save state. Simply load it and you can fight Mad Clown directly.
bootsum
Snes9x White Belt

Post by bootsum »

bootsum wrote:
bootsum wrote:Same here, even using the latest Snes9x testbuild. The mad clown usually crashes when he is doing the brain squash. :cry:
Test and confirmed. Bug is clearly reproducible. The mad clown crashes every time he is doing the brain squash (except the very first time).

In case if anyone wants to investigate that bug, I have uploaded the save state. Simply load it and you can fight Mad Clown directly.
Note that I'm using the latest testbuild 29012015
You can download it here: http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/
Snes-rp
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Snes-rp »

Would someone be willing to post a link to a euro pal rom that works for the mad clown fight?

I found a Europe rom, but it still crashed :-(

Thanks
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

Board Rules wrote:1. NO ROM REQUESTS.
gravykid
Snes9x White Belt

Post by gravykid »

Dinierto wrote:I also have this problem. I understand that the devs are busy people, but this bug is very frustrating. I would even make a donation if it would help.
I too would offer to make a donation to fix this bug. This game is one of my favourites of all time, and to not be able to get past this part of the game is frustrating....
Dinierto
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Dinierto »

So... are we just out of luck on this issue? Is there any development on SNES9X?
aml51z
Snes9x White Belt

Post by aml51z »

Use game genie code
6D61-DFD0
to prevent him from doing the special attack, this worked for me.

I hated cheating but it can be turned off after skipping that part.

sorry to revive an old thread but i was going nuts trying to get passed him and google kept bringing me here, figured I would do society a solid for once.