Super Castlevania IV does not load

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Super Castlevania IV does not load

Post by the_randomizer »

1) Open up the ROM (Super Castlevania IV USA/NTSC.smc) in Snes9x 1.52 fix4

2) Wait

3) Nothing happens, just a black screen

So, basically, when you try to load the ROM, there is no Konami logo, heck, nothing happens but a black screen. Not only that, but when you go to "File->Load File" it doesn't actually open the load file window, thus leaving you no choice but to close down the emulator. The funny thing is, when I use the ROM dialogue, I get this (if this is too big, let me know, I'll use a link instead) Image
Lisa: "I hope you all know you're sponsoring a murderous pirate!"
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

Works fine for me with both "Super Castlevania IV (E) [!]" and "Super Castlevania IV (U) [!]" (the latter has the same checksum as your file.
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Very strange... I wonder if there's a setting somewhere that has to be changed.
Sponsor: "A pirate!!? Well, that's hardly the image we need for Long John Silvers!"
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Is there even any sound?

Make sure your sound isn't muted AND that you haven't disabled BG layers 1/2/3/4, the sprite layer, transparency, HDMA emulation, and GFX clipping.

To enable/disable BG layers, press the corresponding number. (1 key for BG layer 1, etc.)

To enable/disable the sprite layer, press 5.
To enable/disable transparency effects, press 8.
To enable/disable HDMA emulation, press 0.
To enable/disable GFX clipping, press 7.
To speak to a operator, press *. :P
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Weird. After pressing 1-6, I saw the Konami logo.....now, why would the layers be turned off when loading the game? Other games don't display this issue when I load them, but whatever.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Perhaps you accidentally pressed them during a game or something and didn't notice it?

Anyway, I would disable these hotkeys to prevent this issue again. ;) Just my two pennies.
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
the_randomizer
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by the_randomizer »

Camo_Yoshi wrote:Perhaps you accidentally pressed them during a game or something and didn't notice it?

Anyway, I would disable these hotkeys to prevent this issue again. ;) Just my two pennies.
Done and done. Still, that was really weird for that to happen. :shock: Yet another PEBKAC error.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

the_randomizer wrote:
Camo_Yoshi wrote:Perhaps you accidentally pressed them during a game or something and didn't notice it?

Done and done. Still, that was really weird for that to happen. :shock: Yet another PEBKAC error.
Well, it's fixed now and that's all that matters, right? :P