Windows 7 64-bit Compatibility

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Isozyme
Snes9x White Belt

Windows 7 64-bit Compatibility

Post by Isozyme »

First I wanted to thank everyone here for their work on Snes9x. I've been using it on and off to play old favorites for what feels like the last decade.

I recently changed my OS to Windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded Snes9x 1.52 and upon loading the emulator I get the following error:

"Unable to initialize XAudio2. you will not be able to hear any sound effects or music while playing. It is usually caused by not having a recent DirectX release installed."

I have searched the forum a number of times trying to see if 64-bit windows releases are done, with no luck (though I have seen 64-bit versions of other operating systems produced).

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a way to get snes9x running on Windows 7 64-bit. Perhaps others would find this useful as well!
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

You can try as the message suggests and install the latest DirectX runtime:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 6652cd92a3

You can also choose a different sound output method in Sound->Settings.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

Some older audio cards also don't like Xaudio2, like my Creative AudioPCI ES1371/3.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!
Isozyme
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Isozyme »

Thanks. Every time I've installed windows I do not think that I have had to manually add DirectX. Adding that did the trick, it works perfectly. Thanks so much!
iceman101101
Snes9x White Belt

Post by iceman101101 »

Although my onboard audio (Realtek... ugh) isn't old, it doesn't seem to like Xaudio2, as Camo_Yoshi mentioned about older sound cards, both here and on the thread I started about a week ago, when even after I downloaded the current directx 9.0c updates, Snes9x would still crash randomly. I switched to DirectSound and since then I haven't had any trouble. However, I'm running Win7 32 bit.
squall_leonhart69r

Post by squall_leonhart69r »

there is no problem at all running Xaudio on any sound card. Drivers on the other hand are usually the source of the problem.
Camo_Yoshi
Snes9x Purple belt

Post by Camo_Yoshi »

I've upgraded to WIn7 since my last post and now Xaudio seems to be working fine. Thanks for the link though.
Snes9x FAQs | Forum Rules
What operating system are you using? 32 or 64bit? Version of Snes9x? Is the text at the bottom of the window white when you load the game?
These suggestions are usually the solution to your issue!