Biggest complaints with snes9x.

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.

Biggest complaints with Snes9x.

compatibility
7%
customization
12%
lack of language support
7%
buggy/locks up
9%
to slow
5%
lack of suitable netplay
19%
controls hard to setup
10%
zipped snes9x scares me (I know you are out there)
4%
other (write a little about it below)
27%

Total votes: 94

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i also voted for customization. i would really like to see the option to set the save state button and turbo button to the gamepad. other then that great emulator!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sorry I haven't read everything on this thread, since I just registered...

But I was using version 1.36 I believe, and had absolutely NO problems what so ever. Everything worked as it should have, I had a max framerate of 60/60 at almost all times even with the Supereagle filter (those are cool.. yes I'm new to Roms..) and I love it. However I went to load up again so I could play some Secret of Mana, and the .exe went bye bye so I went and downloaded version 1.43 in hopes I could find a bug and maybe help out at some point. Well, on the older version the full screen video mode was well, FULL screen. Now theres a black bar at the bottom of the screen and it has totally messed up the aspect ratio of the game during fullscreen play. I did do a brief scan over a few posts in this thread and realized that others were complaining of the same issue. So, what was the purpose of implimenting the little black bar that screws up the display? If it worked just fine before, why try fixing something that isn't broke? I believe there should at least be an option to remove black bar in the display settings menu.

Video - I LOVE THE VIDEO MODES! VIDEO SAVES IS... Oh HELL YES. This is awesome, and for those of you out there that make walkthroughs for various games like I intend to do, I will most likely make videos as references for certain key things in the game that are hard to describe or make sense of in words. Very awesome, three beers to the techie that came up with that idea!

Cheats: I notice that when you go to the cheats menu you have to manually enter the Game Genie (i would only use Game Genie..) code by hand. Perhaps in the future through a bit of development and help from those that use the codes, you could come up with an add-on file that includes a databass complete with all the regularly used codes for SNES games built in, so that you could just choose a number of codes from a list of availiables, and impliment them into game play. That would be something very nice. No more searching for new codes, and those codes that pop up as new (I'm sure there aren't many left) could be included intot he code database with the next snes9x update. Just one of my ideas.

GUI: I like the GUI, it's very simple, it's not pixilated like ZSNES, it looks like a MODERN program and not something I had back on my old Windows 3.11 for Workgroups desktop. Yeah, the 60mhz DOS PC with Norton Desktop. (-chuckles-). I give the GUI a 9/10, one shy of perfect because it DOES lack customization and a few other things like on the fly resolution changes, etc... that'd be something kinda cool to put into the program.

SOUND: I'm not a big sound nut, but I do require sound to be at least satisfactory and, so far in the roms I have played, snes 9x seems to do alright in the sound category. I take it that the low pass filters add the bassy sounds to actions such as a spear thrust (heh) or a sword slash, or something of the like. I noticed that the emulator produces a more digital sound compared to my SNES sitting on the OTHER side of the bed from the computer (hehehehehe). Something that would be interesting would be to add an in game equalizer so that you didn't have to mess with sound driver settings and windows core settings to get the sound just right, you know? I'm sure the LPF's have already been worked on and are in the works for implimentation. For those working on it, maybe you could check into making adjustable LPF's at different cutoff frequencies so that you can tune the sound into your computers speakers as I've noticed some computer nuts have little squawky speakers hooked up with no bass.. (I like my thump so I keep some logitech speaks + 8" sub hooked up, heh)

I didn't vote because I don't know the program well enough to make a justifiable decision, therefore I'll just give it a rating of say.. 8/10 because it IS a work in progress application and, well nothing is EVER perfect and those few that complain ar what's keeping the updates coming.

Awesome job people, awesome job. It's the only emulator you're going to find me using
Clintoris
Admin of Gayville, SD

Post by Clintoris »

Cool. Well, we'll go in order.

Yeah, the black bar did cause some greivances, but nothing major. The developers, I believe, attempted to correct a glitch that caused some flickering on some machines. Instead of trying to correct an issue for some, they removed the black bar. For the time being it'll stay. I'm sure it'll be taken care of someday.

Video mode is the r0x0rz.

There are premade .cht files out there I believe. Zophar might have some, but there could be other sites too. The database thing is an Ok idea. Someone would have to take the time to create it, host it, maintain it, etc.

The GUI r0x0rz.

Sound works for me. Only a few glitches that don't bother me much. For the most part, others have said similar things about the sound, though.

U DIDNT VOTE WUT IZ RONG WIT U VOTEING IZ UR RITE UZE IT MAN.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I believe that it has some bug with CDROM reading . I always get locked up when play with ROM on CDROM .
anomie
Snes9x Orange Belt

Post by anomie »

Clintoris wrote:Yeah, the black bar did cause some greivances, but nothing major. The developers, I believe, attempted to correct a glitch that caused some flickering on some machines. Instead of trying to correct an issue for some, they removed the black bar. For the time being it'll stay. I'm sure it'll be taken care of someday.
The SNES can output either 224 (normal) or 239 ("overscan") scanlines per frame. Most games stick with 224, some do 239. And a few change to 239 for just one frame then back to 224, which makes a very annoying jump in the display. The 'black bar' is an artifact of always doing 239 to cure that jumpiness.

Someday perhaps it may go away. But don't hold your breath.
Elunia
Snes9x White Belt

Post by Elunia »

If you REALLY want such a database, then someone should take care to merge all cheats into one file or such. I can always host it on my mirror if it comes to be ^_^
Anonymous

Needs Graphic Interpolation

Post by Anonymous »

It would also help if Snes9x simply had an interpolation mode..that way it wouldn't have to rely on such complex coding as open GL..like zsnes does. It smoothes out the graphics without having to deal with such heavy reliance on modern graphics drivers. Some people are having trouble with the more complex video filter functions.
Anonymous

Infrequent updates

Post by Anonymous »

I'd have to say my only complaint is infrequent updates. WIP is a public beta, but we haven't had any new est builds in a very long time. That's what i always admired about zsnes, frequent builds to let us see the development progress and visually SEE the project moving. At this point with snes9x we don't even know if it's been touched in months. I'm sure it has, but it does tend to drop faith if the updates aren't seen. Besides if you've already fixed something in build, and we are complaining about it months after you fixed it, that would be annoying too. Let us have something current to complain about, and not issues that are past tense. Give us your latest broken builds I say, if it doesn't work we can always revert.
Clintoris
Admin of Gayville, SD

Post by Clintoris »

Be patient. It's constantly being worked on. The reason why it's a wait, is because of the amount of stuff going into it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Clintoris wrote:Be patient. It's constantly being worked on. The reason why it's a wait, is because of the amount of stuff going into it.
Indeed. I understand that. However, I do think public testing does create a much better result though. Puts it across many more test systems, and does keep everyone focued on current issues and not reporting issues from an ancient build. Like what Fx3 has been doing with rocknes 4 for example. First few builds were so broken, almost unusuable, but through the input of more testers were able to iron out more faster, and keep getting improved builds out. Anyway, that's my opinion and thus my small complaint for this topic. Other then that, great emulator. Best tool for playing games like Star Ocean that got shafted on US releases. You guys did beat znes on emulating that without a graphics pack too. Good work.
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

IIRC, ZSnes now has SDD-1 support in the emulator. Nab the latest version here.
PS: Just so ya know, it's ZSnes, not znes. :wink:

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
KeithV
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by KeithV »

AoL,

do i geth the ZSNES WIP RC1 version?? or should i use the date ZSNES WIP October 24 version??
Give me a place to stand and I will rule the Earth
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

adventure_of_link wrote:IIRC, ZSnes now has SDD-1 support in the emulator. Nab the latest version here.
PS: Just so ya know, it's ZSnes, not znes. :wink:
That was a typo. And i know it supports SDD-1 now, my comment was just that snes9x had it first. :P
Gogo
Snes9x Brown Belt

Post by Gogo »

You can tell it's a typo because he said the name correctly several other times. ... ... or at least once.

and since I'm here, my biggest complaint with the snes9x is that nobody* reads the bewtiful bewtiful FAQ I wroted, cause it's very the good and informatative.

*please note the this is an over-generalization and not an accurate representation of percentage of FAQ readers. Obviosly since I, CJ and Nach have read it, at least, saying nobody just isn't fair.
Go here: http://sgibbons.deviantart.com/
It has shiny shines! ~ UPDATED 01/23/2006
adventure_of_link
Hero of Hyrule | Official Port Recruiter

Post by adventure_of_link »

KeithV wrote:AoL,

do i geth the ZSNES WIP RC1 version?? or should i use the date ZSNES WIP October 24 version??
I'd get either one, as it seems like they're both supported, yet I'd recommend 1.4RC1, since it's got the much sought-after SDD-1 emulation.
PS: Thanks to Andreas Naive for the SDD-1 code :D

Unofficial Test Monkey For:
* Snes9X GX (Wii)
* Snes9X EX (Android)
* Snes9X 64-bits (PC/Mac)

ZSNES|Ben Heck|NSRT|Bob Smiley
Anonymous

This one goes to cookerelius@yahoo.com

Post by Anonymous »

Hey cookerelius, if your still having problems with your joystick, try configuring it in the control panel. If that doesn't work then Gogo or Koji might know how to help you.
Send me a PM and let me know what happend.
Oblivion
Snes9x Yellow Belt

Post by Oblivion »

This isn't even a complaint, just a suggestion: being able to control the size of the resoloution, in window mode, without having to stretch and guess. If it's too much work, not high enough priority, etc., ignore. I'm going to assume the latter in any case.
Everything I say is a lie.
Anonymous

configurability!!!!!

Post by Anonymous »

I wish snes9x could have the configurability of Zsnes.
I might start using Mess:
http://www.mess.org/

Edit:
MESS Emulation State:
This driver is preliminary and most images will not work. Super Mario World (US version) is playable.

That would be cool if it ever works.
Anonymous

This might sound stupid but....

Post by Anonymous »

I play games on my dinosaur of a computer that make the SNES look pretty weak but then I play snes emus and they seem to run worse than the original cart. I realize the PC and the SNES are not the same thing but it aggrivates (sry, apparently I can't spell :? ) me that a machine that is that much older than my jurassic PC plays the same games better than it does. It's not the snes9x's fault, I know. But you asked my biggest complaint. Mine is being reminded everytime I play a game that we don't live in a perfect world where I can have my cake and eat it too. :lol: All joking aside, my legitimate complaints about the program have switched from 1.41-1 to 1.42 so I couldn't really give relevant feedback. Sry!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi guys. This is the first time I've contributed anything on Snes9x and I'd like to firstly express my thanks for all your hard work. The points I have are a little different, I guess, so I thought I'd throw them in.

Compatibility list- emulators like 1964 have an accurate compat. list for all n64 roms. Does such a list exist for Snes9x? If so, I'd love to see it integrated into the load games window.

Slow loading of roms- I have the complete good set of snes roms, but find it takes almost a minute for the list to populate in 9x. Is this a common occurance for anyone else? Is there a dll file I can get to correct this? Faster population would be great (almost instant in ZSNES).

WIP log- I guess this isn't directly to do with the Snes9x.exe... but I notice the development log on this site is only really updated when a new WIP is realeased. I like Snes9x's release structure- you're not checking for minor updates all the time- but it would be cool to get more incremental info on progress.

Well, thanks for reading. Compat list is the main thing for me, I guess. Once again - thank you for a superb emulator. It's brought me and others a lot of joy!!