USB controller compatibility in snes9x

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
ip02
Snes9x White Belt

USB controller compatibility in snes9x

Post by ip02 »

Hi. I use snes9x 1.56.2 64 bit for windows which I know is just for snes games, but I've been able to use my logitech usb wired controller, as well as an aftermarket 8bitdo snes-style controller with it. However, I just tried to use an aftermarket usb wired n64-style controller, and was able to configure the buttons properly in the "input configuration" settings page, but when I actually tried to play a game with it, none of the buttons would work. Does anyone know of a way to get a controller like that working in snes9x? This is the controller I'm trying to use, by the way "https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Controll ... roller+usb". Thanks.
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Re: USB controller compatibility in snes9x

Post by OV2 »

If the buttons work in input config they should also work in the emulator. Have you correctly configured them for "Joypad #1" and enabled it?
ip02
Snes9x White Belt

Post by ip02 »

Hi. I was using "Joypad #3", but now I configured "Joypad #1" and enabled it, and the controller works properly, thanks.
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Just to clarify: the additional joypads represent the joypads of the SNES, so joypad #3 would be a third joypad that is connected via the multitab to the second controller port of the SNES.
ip02
Snes9x White Belt

Post by ip02 »

Ok, what does that mean? If I connect the n64 controller to "Joypad #1", it seems to work, but if I have more than one of them plugged in at the same time and I connect another one to "Joypad #2" and "Joypad #3" will they also work properly?
OV2

Post by OV2 »

Only if you play a game that supports more than one joypad, for example bomberman multiplayer. And you also need to select "use super multitap" under input for more than two controllers.