SRAM saves not actually working

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
VectorKnight
Snes9x White Belt

SRAM saves not actually working

Post by VectorKnight »

"Proof" of the incident (In quotations because, well, it isn't concrete proof.)
SNES9x is strange.png (155.32 KiB) Viewed 22608 times
Yes, hi, hello - I made an account on this forum to seek out help on the obvious - The Snes9x emulator.

Pertinent info:
>System: Windows 10
>Specs: More than enough (Can run SNES games fine with several other programs running)
>Not sure what else to put here.

>Problem: So, I'm playing Earthbound for the first time. I try another emulator for a while, play through a good section of the game, and realize that the emulator's not what I want. So I try this one. I put the .srm file in the 'saves' folder (And yes, it does have the same name as the rom, except for the file type), and boot the game up.

No save data.

So, just to test it out, I make another game and play to the point where I can save, then save and exit. Then I try replacing the .srm file with the other one. Boot it back up, and it's the same level 1 save file. I decide to take drastic measures by deleting the entire Snes9x file, and unpackaging the source .zip file once again. Place the .srm file back, boot it up... And it's the same level 1 save file. Again.

I know that the .srm is the correct one, as I have tried this multiple times, and I'm at a loss of what to do, tearing my hair out in frustration, since from what I can tell, nobody else has had this problem, and I can't find anything about it in the readme. So, if you could help in some manner, that'd be great.

"Proof":
SNES9x is strange.png (155.32 KiB) Viewed 22608 times
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Re: SRAM saves not actually working

Post by odditude »

1. do a search for *.srm across both drives. report all locations found.
2. post the full path to snes9x (presumably "D:\Games\Emulator stuff\Emulators\SNES9x")
3. post the defined save path as showin in Emulation -> Settings...
VectorKnight
Snes9x White Belt

Post by VectorKnight »

1. In drive D: There are many .srm files for steam games (D:\Steam\steamapps\common\[game]), and the only other locations are D:\Games\Emulator stuff\Emulators\SNES9x\Saves , and :\Games\Emulator stuff\ROMs and Data\Earthbound , the former of which is generated upon launching earthbound in Snes9x and closing it.
In drive C: Many files under C:\Windows\[etc, etc], two shortcuts to the save data, one under roaming and the other under recent. There is another save data on the desktop (Which is a 'backup' of sorts of the file I want to transfer).
2. D:\Games\Emulator stuff\Emulators\SNES9x (So yes, exactly what you thought). The other files are located here, as is the application itself. (Roms folder, saves folder, conf file, etc)
3. In Emulation -> Settings, for SRAM, the save path is defined as, '.\Saves'
odditude
Snes9x Green Belt

Post by odditude »

1. how are you launching snes9x? are you running the program directly, are you double-clicking on the ROM in Windows, are you using a frontend..?

2. load up EarthBound again, save in game again. redo the *.srm search across both drives, and look to see the most recently touched file. methinks it's going to be either in %appdata% or %windir%.
VectorKnight
Snes9x White Belt

Post by VectorKnight »

1. In the SNES9x folder I made for the program, I have the application 'snes9x-64', which is what I use to launch it. Then I load the Earthbound ROM I have.
2. After doing that, the most recently touched file is the save file in the \Saves folder. And, just for the heck of it, I tested putting the .srm file into the saves again.

And, somehow, it's working now. I don't know if it was my computer being dumb, or me being dumb, or what. I restarted my computer since then, so it's entirely possible that it was a sort of 'recent' thing that was saved and subsequently purged afterwards.

Regardless, thank you for your assistance, and expedient responses!
OV2
Official Win32 Porter/Dev

Post by OV2 »

S9x will first try to load the .srm from the directory configured for SRAM (by default \Saves), if it cannot load the .srm from there it will try the directory of the ROM. Maybe this caused some confusion in your case?