Save stats compatibility between Windows and OS X

If you're having problems with Snes9x, or think you've found a bug, this is the place to be.
Mwahahaha
Snes9x White Belt

Save stats compatibility between Windows and OS X

Post by Mwahahaha »

Hi,

I'm using Snes9x from both my Windows 7 office laptop (in the train or at the hotel) and my OS X personal laptop.

My ROMs and save states are in a DropBox so they are always synchronized but I realized the OS X port doesn't use the same filename suffix that the Windows port. Even though they are not exactly the same, it seems they are compatible if I rename them.

Is there a way to modify the Windows or OS X behaviour so that they use the same filename and folder for save states?
BearOso
Official GTK/Linux Porter/Dev

Re: Save stats compatibility between Windows and OS X

Post by BearOso »

The OS X port is a little weird with its .frz extension. I think the intention was to allow a file type association with Snes9x. We could get rid of that to bring it in line with the other ports. You’d just lose the icons for save state files.

Something you could try is just keeping the actual files with the Windows extension and making simlinks in OSX.

Code: Select all

for i in *.0??; do ln -s $i $i.frz; done
Something like that in your state directory will create .frz symlinks to all the states you’ve saved so far.
Mwahahaha
Snes9x White Belt

Re: Save stats compatibility between Windows and OS X

Post by Mwahahaha »

Thanks for your answer!

Your symlinks idea is quite good as it avoid duplicating files but it needs a manual action every time a new save state has been created... I also know that the folders are configurable in the Windows port so I can change it to the "Freezes" folder but there will still be the file extension issue.

I can also try to compile my own version of Snes9x and change the file extension in the source code but, too me, it's a pity all the ports don't use the same :-(